Once a year, the William T. Piper Memorial Airport in Lock Haven, Pennsylvania comes alive for the annual “Sentimental Journey to Cub Haven Fly-In;” an event celebrating the 75th birthday of Piper and the Piper J-3 Cub airplane.
Located just down the road in nearby Lock Haven, the William T. Piper Airport is the closest commercial airport to the original Flagship Store in the village of Woolrich. The Piper engines were named Lycoming, after the neighboring county.
First manufactured in Lock Haven in 1937 by the Piper Aircraft Corporation, the Piper Cub is a tiny, lightweight aircraft with a huge following.
Piper Cubs haven’t been made since 1947, but pilots and aviation enthusiasts return to Lock Haven each June to celebrate their local history with a trip to the William T. Piper Aviator Museum.
For the 27th consecutive year, onlookers were treated to the skillful maneuvers of Cub Airplanes, recognizable by their chrome yellow color known as “Lock Haven Yellow” the teddy bear insignia on the planes’ tails.
The Cub’s small, simple composition made it extremely popular amongst aviators and amateur pilots in the 1930s and 1940s. Originally intended for flight training, the aircraft became popular in part because they were affordable, easy to fly and light.
The Piper Aircraft Corporation grew to become the world’s leading producer of general aviation aircraft.
After it closed in 1984; the Piper Aviation Museum, a nonprofit dedicated to preserving the history of the Piper planes, bought the adjacent Piper Engineering building in 1997.
For more information about the annual Fly-In, visit, www.sentimentaljourneyfly-in.com.