WOOLRICH x West America XV

Woolrich, whose apparel has been worn by explorers and adventurers since 1830, has teamed up with Jordan Hufnagel and James Crowe of adventure outfitter West America on an epic motorcycle odyssey from Whistler, BC to Patagonia and back. The duo will be wearing Woolrich apparel while documenting their trip and have developed a capsule of apparel inspired by the journey. Below is the a new post in a series of report from the road.


“When we are on the bikes we crave being off the bikes but once we get a bit of time off the bikes we realize that we crave movement.  A week and a half in the small town of Peurto Lindo allowed us to work on the bikes and catch up on some planning for Columbia but we were dying to move on.

Friday rolled around and we packed up the bikes, the ride to the port was through lush valleys and beautiful farmland.  If our time in the small port town taught us anything it was that our captain was not thought too highly of, we were expecting some headaches, and after waiting for over an hour for her to show up they started.  Instead of leaving that evening we spent the next three days driving back and forth to Colon trying to export our bikes from Panama, each country that we enter requires us to temporally import then export the bikes.


At 11pm on Monday night we finally pulled anchor and headed for the San Blas Islands, the first leg of the trip was rougher than we expected but we held it together.  It was both our first time sailing and its safe to say we underestimated our weakness on the water, we now feared the two day open water crossing more then ever.


We woke up anchored in the beautiful San Blas Islands, a paradise of white sand and crystal clear warm water, after a quick bite everyone jumped overboard.  The water would be home for the next two days, snorkelling and exploring the uninhabited islands with our new friends.  Our captain had one saving grace, she was an amazing cook, every night she would make a feast of fresh seafood bought from the locals.  Our time on the islands was something we will never forget.


After dinner on the third day the fun was over, we pulled out of the protected bay into open sea.  January is considered one of the roughest times to make the crossing, it wasn’t long before the 50 foot sailboat was getting tossed like a toy in the swell.  We were only permitted above deck during daylight so when the sun set it was time to wedge ourselves in the tiny cabins, as we raced to our beds I made sure to grab a handful of puke bags.


The next two days were rough on us, I immediately puked all over myself in bed, Jordan did a little better but suffered equally.  Neither of us ate or drank for two days in fear of having to go to the bathroom.  After over thirty hours at open sea we awoke to a boat that was perfectly still, the sense of relief was incredible, we were now anchored in the Port of Cartagena Colombia.    


We were now officially in South America, a day we had both been dreaming about for years, we got off the boat as quick as possible to explore the lively city we were now in.”


Get the gear the guys are testing!  Shop woolrich.com


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *